Monday, February 13, 2012

That's Trashy

Today I had a genius moment. 
While my husband was taking out trash, I began to pile things on the counter to be thrown away. 

This is the pile

 

Okay, minus the paint and glue gun. I was throwing away a book I just finished reading, that my dog chewed on ( by the way, it was called My Husband's Sweethearts, decent book for a dollar store find), a small piece of red silky material, that had an iron mark burned into it, a piece of lace that had a slightly noticeable sun stain and a large piece of cardboard. Bumble Bee added the heart to the picture.

As I ran in and out of my craft room cleaning, I was drawn back to the pile on the counter. I had to have looked back at it ten or so times before I decided to put it all on the table and figure out what was wrong.

Then it came to me. This wasn't trash but treasure. LOL I can't believe now, that I was throwing away that book, with so many pages of beautiful print left inside. Slowly, the project evolved. 

First, I ripped out many pages of the book, and cut them into swirls. Taking each swirl from the outside, I tightly rolled it up, like below on the right. To get the flower look, loosen up the rolled paper. It will fall perfectly into place as a rose, just like magic.


 After making forty or so, I cut the cardboard into a ring and began to hot glue the roses on. One dot of glue on the center bottom, to attach the flower to the card board and one dot on the top of the center, to attached the rest of the swirl. 

If I had more cardboard, I would have re-cut the wreath a bit thicker, to fit three flowers,
 instead of just two.


With the silky fabric scrap, I made a no-sew rosette. Once I added the rosette to a open spot and glued the lace to the back, it was finished. Only took five minutes and saved some room in my trash can. Cute, Right?


Now, I encourage you to go trash diving and turn your trash into treasure. Just stay away from the eggs shells and anything with a non recognizable liquid on it.

No comments: