Wednesday, February 22, 2012

DIY Dress-up Wardrobe

Remember last week when I revamped a craigslist dresser for my daughters room? I mentioned her old dresser had lived a long, happy life and was ready to go. But as my husband brought it out of her room, I started to think how sturdy it was. Really, only the drawers and tracks were in bad shape.

 As you may know, I hate throwing anything away until I have thought of all possible uses or projects. 
I came up with the perfect project, a dress-up wardrobe for B's room. This is the dresser before the makeover.


And the After



Bumble Bee loves it. Before I had all her costumes (as you can see she has a lot) hanging in her closet, which was just too high. I plan on mounting a couple hooks on the side to hang jewelry on. 

This project was super easy and it only cost $14 out of pocket. We already had the dresser on hand plus the purple paint, and the batting. I had to purchase the closet bar and brackets. They were $6 together. The fabric for the sides ( a twin sheet from the thrift store) was only a whopping $2 and the ric rac ribbon was $6.

The ric rac ribbon was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I needed to buy two spools at $6.99 each!!! Good thing I had coupons :)

After pulling out all the drawers, my amazing husband cut off the support wood for the drawers. This was way easy and I could have done it, but he likes to help. Next I sanded and sanded some more. I wanted to get the inside and out, as smooth as possible.

Once I was content with it's smoothness, I stapled batting to the sides and top. The fabric or sheet I picked up, had ballerina tutu's and slippers on it, plus a ugly barbie head. I cut up the sheet to fit the sides, top and bottom to show as least of the heads as possible and stapled it on top of the batting. 

I was more precise when stapling the fabric on. I only stapled around the edges, that way I could cover the staples with ribbon. When hot gluing the ribbon on, I  added a dot of glue to every staple to insure perfect coverage.

Don't look to closely at the shoes in the bottom of the wardrobe, I don't think she has one match under there in the picture LOL

2 comments:

free standing closet said...

love your wardrobe, it looks so nice:)

Alyssa said...

thanks! My daughter loves it too!