Thursday, February 9, 2012

Our Version of the Sucker Valentine *UPDATED*

Lately on Pinterest, I have seen some super fun homemade valentines. I have been dying to make some of our own but T-bird really enjoys to pick out his favorite store bought character valentines. He does love crafting too, though.

 I asked T if he would like to make his own Valentine's this year. He said yes with two demands:
1.They had to be AWESOME
2.We had to make a girl friendly one. 
 







T-bird picked out all the outfits himself. I honestly didn't think we would make a Valentine from each costume, but since all the scenes turned out perfect that he I  insisted. We uploaded to Picnik because I thought it would be an easier editor for T to use. He picked out everything, the photo effects, clip art, and text. Together with a little help from Google, we came up with the sayings for each.

It only cost $5.36 to have 26 photo valentines printed one hour at Wal-Mart. While waiting T picked out suckers and a special marker to write on the back of them. Once home, I cut two slits, with an exacto knife, above and below his hand. T-bird stuffed the suckers. But be careful with this part, he demolished a valentine on the first try because they rip so easily. 


Making these was way easy and super fun. The cost all together, valentines and candy, turned out to be less than $10. Which is about how much it would have cost to buy them. Plus we got some good quality Mother-Son bonding time in there. Not to mention, T-bird informed me these were the COOLEST valentines ever!


I thought I would mention PICNIK is sadly closing soon. But I heard Google owned the photo editor and just moved it to Google+!!! So all you out there wanting to edit photos for free, try Picnik. It is sooo easy and does not close until April 19. Then if you love it, which you will, open a google+ account if you don't already have one!!
  If i want a super easy and fast photo editor similar to PICNIK, I now use PicMonkey.

 Now we have to make a special Valentine for a visually impared boy in Tanner's class. Tanner has requested he gets a special one with braille. I dont think I can DIY braille, but I am thinking lots of texture. Like a bear cut out of faux fur. Any ideas??? Oh, his party is tomorrow too. Nothing like a last minute deadline.

No comments: