Monday, April 16, 2012

Tile Coasters

How lucky am I that I found a box full of white tiles in our garage? A couple years ago, a gal pal of mine, made the most darling tile coasters as wedding favors. Unfortunately, she only used Modge Podge as a sealant and the paper began to peel and tear only after only a few uses. Even though they weren't properly sealed, I loved them and have been dying to make my own. 
To make the coasters, I first applied a layer of modge podge to the tile. After cutting the paper of my choosing to size, I placed it centered. Don't forget to smooth out all the wrinkles starting from the middle and push outwards. Once that layer dried, I added another coat of modge podge and let them sit for an hour. After the break I sealed them with two coats (waiting 15 min in between) of Krylon's Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze. 24hrs later, I glued a square piece of felt to the bottom.
Here's how they turned out! The vintage ones are most defiantly my favorite. I think I will redo my kiddos Easter picture coaster set. I  printed the pictures out on printer paper. The colors are just too grey for my liking. But with some editing and real photo paper they will be turn out just right. 










No comments: