Thursday, March 8, 2012

DIY Canvas Tutorial

Would you like a fun and easy way to create a photo canvas without breaking the bank? I have trying to come up with a way to show off picture with a artistic quality. 
Do you see all the texture and loveliness of the canvas? And it only cost me $2.60 (I did have all the supplies on hand besides the Gesso).


Supplies
8" x 10" Canvas
1 Sheet of Strathmore Tracing Paper (found in the art/drawing aisle)
Acrylic paint, I used black and dark brown with a touch of gold
Mod Podge
Gesso
Paintbrush
Ink Jet Printer



  First print a black and white photo onto the tracing paper.

This can be a little tricky. Be patient. I finally taped the tracing paper to a sheet of copy paper, since my printer wouldn't take the tracing paper alone. Be sure the ink is completely dry before handling the tracing paper. 
You can choose any color of acrylic paint. I wanted an old rustic look to the canvas though, so I choose black and brown. Pink may have been cute if I was going to put it in her room.
 I had flat canvas on hand, so I used it. But I think this project would awesome on a regular canvas with an 1/2 edge or thicker.

Apply the paint to all four sides of the canvas and to the edges on the front. Allow to dry.
Next apply Modge Podge to the front of the canvas, in the area where you will be placing the tracing paper, over lapping the painted area.



 Lay the tracing paper, print side up, onto the area where Mod Podge was applied. The paper will naturally ripple, creating a textured effect. Apply paint around the edges of the tracing paper to blend into the edges of the canvas. Again, let the canvas dry before moving on.

  Mix a small amount of Gesso and paint. This will create a tinted overlay onto the photo. Once dry apply the mixture over the entire canvas. This coat will seal the canvas.

Now you have a beautiful DIY canvas for much cheaper than any print shop could have made!


1 comment:

Colleen said...

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for sharing how you did this, it turned out very cute. I've been searching for DIY art for my son's playroom, I might try this with one of his pictures. :)