Monday, January 2, 2012

Craigslist Revamp: Free Cabinet

I have an confession, I am a Craigslist addict. I lurk CL hourly! So when I spotted this cabinet FOR FREE only minutes away from my house, I had to have it. Okay so the craigslist picture was taken from a distance and a bit diseving. But it is super sturdy and FREE!

The top drawers were jammed and had awful locks on them. I fixed it right up with wood filler and a LOT of sanding. I painted the cabinet with white latex paint left over from the laundry room walls. 

Once the base was dried and even more sanding, I distressed the cabinet with stain. I applied dark stain around the edges and other random spots I sanded with a rough brush. I wiped the stain off with a rag almost immediately after applying it.

Finally satisfied with the results, I painted a coat of polythene and added handles.  The handles originally came from T-birds captains bed. Since I keep everything, I still had the hideous gold floral handles lying around. While a fresh wash of white looks better, I am still not completely happy with the handles. Maybe a dark bronze color would look better.




No comments: